Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sometimes football
hongwei28
post Sep 7 2018, 04:14 AM
Post #1

Semi-Prof

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,832

Raised in upstate New York Todd Gurley Jersey , Chad Brown didn't root for the Bills, the Giants or the Jets when it came to football.

The 39-year-old from Mechanicville was a San Francisco 49ers fan. It was simple. He liked future Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana, although football didn't turn out to be Brown's sport.

Brown has become one of thoroughbred racing's top trainers, and his favorite football team now is the New England Patriots. It has nothing to do with Tom Brady.

It's all about Gronkowski, both of them. He likes tight end Rob and the 3-year-old colt named after him who will be a fan favorite Saturday in the $1.5 million Belmont Stakes.

Whether Gronkowski can challenge Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Justify and prevent him from becoming the sport's 13th Triple Crown winner remains to be seen.

The name of the horse adds interest to the final jewel of the Triple Crown, of course.

"It works for him," Brown said of the name. "He is going to pick up a few extra fans and that feels good. I am happy people are rooting for him because of his name."

The Kentucky-bred colt has never raced in North America. He has had six starts in England, winning four races and finishing second once. An illness forced him to skip the Kentucky Derby.

Phoenix Thoroughbred Limited, the owners of Gronkowski, decided after the Derby to move the colt out of the barn of Jeremy Noseda in mid-May. Brown has spent the last three-plus weeks getting the colt ready to run again.

While Gronkowski arrived in good condition and has trained extremely well, Brown would have preferred a little more training time.

"If the horse has enough foundation behind him, he is the kind of a horse that can run a mile and a half on the dirt AJ McCarron Jersey ," Brown said Thursday after Gronkowski galloped. "Is he ready for Saturday? We'll see."

Brown said the owners of Gronkowski gave him the option of skipping the Belmont if he felt the colt was not ready. He elected to run.

Brown has an idea what will happen in the race. Gronkowski will run a little behind the leaders and grind out the first 1录 miles. It's the last quarter that's a concern for a colt that has never run longer than a mile in a race.

"This was a very unique situation," Brown said. "This was a horse that was on the Derby trail and then off, and now here on short notice. It really takes a special horse to be able to catch up to speed and be able to run in a race like Saturday. Based on what I have seen so far, I do feel like he is up to it."

Rob Gronkowski, who is a part owner of the colt, is expected to attend. He's also excited.

"It's pretty wild," Gronkowski said Tuesday after a Patriots practice. "I heard about the horse like a year ago and I saw it, and I was like 'that's cool,' you know? Then all of a sudden it's like the horse is in the Kentucky Derby a year later. So it's pretty wild. It's a pretty cool scenario. Pretty cool situation. It just shows, name the horse my name and it's going to make it, baby."

Besides Gronkowski the horse, Brown also had another runner in his barn partially owned by three former or current Patriots. He has gotten the chance to sit down with Patriots coach Bill Belichick to discuss how their jobs are similar and how they manage elite athletes and people on their staffs.

"I have asked him for advice Dalton Schultz Jersey , particularly on leadership, winning, and how to get the most out of people," said Brown, who has 165 employees and 230 horses in his barn. "I find him to be and (have) great admiration for him now that I have had a couple of chances to really sit down with coach and pick his brain. I find him to be really brilliant, a deep thinker and very reserved and calculated about what he says or does. He has enormous experience how to get the most out of people."

For Brown, this is a week in which he will discover just how much he got out of Gronkowski. At worst, it will be a learning experience. At best, Gronk scores big and upsets Justify's Triple Crown hopes.

After making a habit of late comebacks this season, the Oakland Athletics enjoyed building an early lead and holding onto it.

Chad Pinder hit a three-run homer and Khris Davis added three RBIs as the A’s jumped on Lance McCullers Jr. early and cruised to an 8-3 victory over the Houston Astros on Wednesday night.

The A’s lead the majors with 67 runs in the eighth inning or later and entering the game they’d scored the winning run in the eighth or later in nine of their last 21 wins.

”Not always coming back from behind and just winning a ballgame when we were ahead. We can do that, too,” Davis said with a smile.

Davis DeAndre Hopkins Jersey , who extended his career-best hitting streak to 13 games, put the A’s up 2-0 with a double in a three-run first. Pinder made it 6-0 when he connected off McCullers (10-4) for his ninth homer in the fourth.

Oakland manager Bob Melvin said this was a much-needed win after his team rallied from a 4-0 deficit to tie it in the ninth on Tuesday night before losing 6-5 on a bizarre play in the 11th inning.

”It shows you the grit these guys have,” he said. ”That’s a demoralizing loss to be able to come back as far as we did last night and get beat in the fashion that we did. … To be able to jump on their starting pitching right away showed me a lot from these guys to just move past what happened (Tuesday).”

Oakland starter Chris Bassitt (2-3) yielded five hits and three runs in five innings for his second straight win after losing his first three decisions.

Yuli Gurriel drove in two runs for Houston, and Tyler White hit a solo homer that cut the deficit to 6-3 in the fifth.

McCullers allowed four hits and six runs while walking five in four-plus innings for his first loss since May 26. It came after a stellar outing last time out, when he whiffed a career-high 12 while permitting just three hits and a run in seven innings of an 11-4 win over the White Sox.

”You could just tell he was battling himself,” manager AJ Hinch said. ”He just didn’t have it. … So, little bit of mechanics, a little bit of approach but more of it just he just couldn’t throw the ball where he wanted to.”

Things went wrong for McCullers quickly when he walked two batters with one out in the first. The A’s took a 2-0 lead when both runners scored on the double by Davis. A single by Stephen Piscotty sent Davis to third and he scored on a sacrifice fly by Matt Chapman.

McCullers plunked Chapman to start the fourth before walking Mark Canha. Oakland pushed the lead to 6-0 on the homer by Pinder to left field.

Bassitt retired nine of the first 10 batters he faced, and the Astros didn’t get a hit until Alex Bregman’s single with nobody out in the fourth. Jose Altuve singled before Gurriel’s two-run single cut the margin to 6-2.

Emilio Pagan worked two scoreless innings after Bassitt’s exit.

Marcus Semien doubled with one out in the sixth and scored on a two-out triple by Davis to push the lead to 7-3. Oakland made it 8-3 on an RBI single by Josh Phegley in the ninth.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Astros: INF Marwin Gonzalez sat out after taking a cleat to the left wrist Tuesday night. He is day-to-day. … SS Carlos Correa (back stiffness) ramped up his activity and said he’s feeling good and believes he is inching closer to a return.

Athletics: Piscotty exited in the middle of the fifth inning after being hit by a pitch on the left wrist in the top of the inning. The team said his wrist was bruised and Melvin said X-rays were negative.

DEMOTED

Houston optioned reliever Ken Giles to Triple-A Fresno, a night after he appeared to curse at Hinch when he was lifted from the game. Despite that, the Astros insisted the move was about baseball and not the right-hander’s behavior.

”We need to get his pitching right,” Hinch said. ”He’s had an up-and-down season. He’s had signs that things are good. He’s had some bad games. He’s had some meltdowns. But we need to get him right. He’s not right and we’ve got to get him right mentally and physically to make sure he’s a good contributor to a `pen.”

Left-hander Cionel Perez was recalled from Double-A Corpus Christi to take Giles’ roster spot and allowed two hits and a run over 1 2/3 innings in his major league debut.

DERBY BOUND

Bregman was named to the Home Run Derby field on Wednesday night. He will be the fifth Astros player to compete in the contest Larry Allen Jersey , joining Lance Berkman and Jeff Bagwell, who made four appearances each, Moises Alou and Glenn Davis.

”I’ve watched it a bunch,” Bregman said. ”I don’t know if I’ve ever dreamed about being in it but definitely looking forward to it.”

UP NEXT

Oakland RHP Trevor Cahill (1-2, 2.77 ERA) will come off the disabled list to start against Charlie Morton (11-2, 2.83) in the series finale Thursday. Cahill has struggled on the road this season, going 0-2 with a 5.66 ERA. Morton has won four of his last five starts.

Adidas Duncan Keith Jersey ,

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:11 PM