Reply to this topicStart new topic
> There were a couple
hongwei28
post Aug 14 2018, 09:55 AM
Post #1

Semi-Prof

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,832

The lawyer for Ottawa Senators assistant general manager Randy Lee called harassment charges against his client ”baseless Frank Ragnow Youth Jersey ,” and questioned if Lee was being treated fairly.

Attorney Paul Cambria made the comments Friday after a brief court hearing in which Lee pleaded not guilty to a second charge of harassment. He already had pleaded not guilty to a previous charge.

Lee is accused of making lewd comments and rubbing the shoulders of a 19-year-old male shuttle driver in May, when Buffalo was hosting the NHL pre-draft scouting combine. He has been suspended by the Senators.

Cambria said he will argue to have the harassment charges dismissed on July 20, when Lee is next scheduled to appear in Buffalo city court.

”There’s no violation of the law according to the claims being made,” Cambria said. ”We think they’re inappropriate, unsubstantiated and baseless.”

A spokeswoman for the Erie County district attorney’s office previously said prosecutors will oppose the motion to dismiss.

Lee was arrested May 31 after prosecutors say he continued placing his hands on the driver’s shoulders even after being told to stop. He also allegedly made a reference to his genitalia.

Prosecutors filed a second charge of harassment, which fell under a separate subsection of the legal code outlining the violation. It defines harassment as someone who ”repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously annoy” another person and ”serve no legitimate purpose.”

That’s different from the initial charge, which defines harassment as someone striking or making physical contact with another person.

Cambria said he was unaware of any video footage of what happened, but that he will consider filing a motion to have prosecutors turn over their evidence.

Cambria raised concern over whether Lee is being treated differently by prosecutors because of his high-profile job and the media attention the case has received.

”I’ve never seen anybody from the district attorney’s office have a press conference about a noncriminal violation Anthony Miller Jersey Youth ,” Cambria said. ”Our hope is that this is handled for what it is, a low-level accusation, which my client vehemently denies.”

District Attorney John Flynn made himself available to reporters at his office following Lee’s initial arraignment on June 1. Flynn’s availability had to be moved to a larger room because of the number of reporters present.

Cambria also questioned the motives of the 19-year-old driver, who has hired attorney Charles Desmond. Cambria said he’s already been contacted by Desmond and informed of the possibility of the driver filing a civil suit against Lee and the Senators.

”That needs to be taken into consideration as to whether this is some sort of money grab,” Cambria said. ”I mean, this is a person who makes an allegation that his shoulder was rubbed and now is looking to be paid by the team.”

Desmond did not immediately respond to a message from The Associated Press seeking comment.

A 36-goal scorer is moving closer to home and couldn’t be happier about it.

No, the other one.

James van Riemsdyk signed a $35 million, five-year contract with the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday Lawrence Taylor Jersey , the second-richest deal signed by an NHL unrestricted free agent when the market opened and John Tavares left the Islanders for his hometown team in Toronto.

It’s the kind of long-term, big-money contract general manager Ron Hextall has been unwilling to hand out to free agents, though van Riemsdyk became an exception.

”The term we could live with,” Hextall said. ”We can manage our way around the salary cap. We’ve looked up, down and all around at different projections for the next few years and we felt comfortable with the term and the player.”

Van Riemsdyk will count $7 million against the salary cap through 2022-23, which is currently third on the Flyers behind captain Claude Giroux at $8.275 million and winger Jakub Voracek at $8.25 million. Taken by Philadelphia second overall behind Patrick Kane in the 2007 draft, van Riemsdyk played with Giroux and Voracek during his first stint and talked to them before picking the Flyers over other interested teams.

The 29-year-old wasn’t likely to return to Toronto even before the Maple Leafs won the Tavares sweepstakes. But the Middletown, New Jersey Kerryon Johnson Lions Jersey , native also grew up rooting for the New York Rangers and picked the Flyers in large part because of familiarity .

”There were a couple different teams in the mix,” van Riemsdyk said. ”I’m happy to be coming to Philadelphia, and I think it’s going to be a great fit.”

Van Riemsdyk set a career high with 36 goals last season, a year after putting up a career-high 62 points. The 6-foot-3, 217-pound winger who was traded to the Maple Leafs in 2012 isn’t a fundamentally different player now but gained confidence and experience from a bigger role in Toronto the past six seasons.

”I think my whole game has definitely expanded,” van Riemsdyk said. ”Style-wise, I think I’m still very similar. I think I’m still a cerebral type of player who can skate well and have good offensive instincts and can make the smart plays in all three zones.”

He has to be for the Flyers to make this type of commitment. This is by far Hextall’s biggest free agent signing and Philadelphia’s richest since giving goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov $41.88 million on a nine-year deal in 2011.

Bryzgalov is retired and still collecting $1.6 million a year from the Flyers through 2026-27. As Bryzgalov was tweeting from Russia’s World Cup game against Spain, the Flyers were introducing van Riemsdyk Aaron Rodgers Jersey , who they hope will be a far better use of money with an eye toward contending for the Stanley Cup in the coming years.

”Our philosophy four years ago was to get our cap in order and gather young assets,” Hextall said. ”We’ve kind of been through that process now. It’s coming to fruition in terms of guys we have on our team and where we can add to strengthen our team, we want to do it.”

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:47 PM